Sunday, August 17, 2008

Backup Your Work !

Hi,

My notebook was attacked by a spyware or malware this morning and I was so confident that I have all the necesary software to trap and remove it.

BUT I was wrong as my notebook is showing me a blue screen after logon and after some quick initial attempts to recover it, it is still dead ......Sigh.....

So my dear friends, please do your back-ups regularly especially your work files and importantly, please keep a hardcopy of all the registrations, logon Id and Passwords; eg Paypal, blog sites, etc....

Also, make sure you have the basic anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc to protect your notebook though it could still be a bit unlucky that the malware or spyware comes to attack your notebook unless you surf a lot in the Internet.

In case, you think that it is going to cost you a lot, there are a lot of free and proven software that are for home use only but not for commercial use; Adware, Avast, AVG, etc....

If you have another desktop PC or notebook then at least, you have another back-up equipment.

I immediately setup my email account so that I can communicate with the outside world and also use it to update my postings; referring to my hardcopy of logon ID and Passwords!

I am now writing this on my desktop PC while I slowly figure out how to best recover my notebook and not do anything rash....!

Worst case, I will have to reformat the harddisk and re-install all the softwares and backup files but I will lose all my emails as I do not have an off-site backup copy for this.

So please remember to protect your PC and make regular back-ups.

Regards

Dave

No comments: